Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Change of Plans

Standing on the cold September sand at the North End end of Virginia Beach early in the morning, I was watching the dolphins swim by as I had to make the call that the North winds were still creating havoc with our days plan to run a Ocean Adventure. So after calling the clients to reschedule, I was headed home to regroup. On my way back I started to wonder if the leaves at Northwest River were beginning to change and thinking it would be a perfect opportunity to grab my rod and cast for a few hours. Within thirty minutes I went from my toes in the sand, to my toes sinking in the coffee colored mud of the launch area of Bob's Fishing Hole.

Heading off to the right, I slowly slide through the mirrored surface of this dark cypress river, passing under the old railroad bridge, I was ready to get my spinner bait wet.
After a very short paddle here you are completely "off the grid", its raw nature, not a sign of civilization to be heard or seen.
The sun was just beginning to shine onto the river and clearly i wasn't the only one soaking up the warming rays.  
After fishing a few points on the interior islands I decided to make a U turn and paddle my way back under the railroad bridge and head to the main part of the river. Once i arrived I was greeted by the same amazing scenery. The changing leaves, orange, red and green, formed the perfect early fall pallet.
 As I worked over downed trees, and overhangs, I came along a site that made me rethink the agility of the common turtle. I mean how did he do that?
Just like every adventure on the water, I was not wanting this one to end. Even though I hadn't got a single bite for hours, the perfect temperatures and conditions made me want to continue paddling for hours, but sadly it was time to turn around and head back.
I took time to take in the view for the final time as I headed back to the launch area.
As I closed in on the launch area, I passed a Great Blue Heron that was probably having much more success than me at catching fish today.
Well I'm back! Today I went from cold September sand, to warm cypress mud in between my toes. Life on a kayak! When one door closes, another is sure to open when you your taking on the world with your paddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment